Saturday 24 January 2015

Friday's Mini Tutorial

A card I made today for my father in law, who has just gone through a major surgery. He is doing remarkably well. He always sees the talent in my creativity and I thought this might cheer him up. We reside interstate and I am not able to visit him at this time.

METHOD

BASE

I used an off white first layer. A5 folded in half
Pearlized blue second layer. 10cm by 14.5cm
Water colour wash and metallic gold, hand painted third layer. 9cm by 13.5cm
All corners have been rounded with a corner punch.

EMBELLISHMENTS

To replicate ribbon, I used the blue card stock, painted card stock and gold paper.
I made a fish tail ribbon of the same base coloured card stock.
I used a square punch to create the fish tail look. This has been mounted with adhesive foam.
Used a recycled brown card stock (oval die cut). I used a gold gel pen to create a diagonal line across the brown oval. I applied glue to the outer edge of the oval and dipped it in a powder mix. This has been mounted with adhesive foam.
"Get well soon" sentiment(jet black, stazon stamped) on the same base card stock. Corners rounded with corner punch.
Used 4 beads and vellum like butterfly(stazon stamped and permanent marker coloured)

COST SAVING TIPS 

a) I always purchase watercolour pads from craft or discount stores, which is either 225 or 300gsm. This  is what I use for most of my bases unless a specialized paper needed. The higher the gsm the more cream the card stock looks. I get either A5 or A4 size depending on price at the time.
b) The vellum like butterfly is made out of 100gsm tracing paper, which I purchase in A3 book and is way cheaper than vellum.
c)'The pearlized card stock, I bought at a discount store. $2 for 10 A5 sheets. 
d) I hand paint a lot of my patterned card sock myself, which allows me to tailor my design, to mood and gender.
e) I save cereal boxes, paper towel rolls and various other cardboards to use for crafting. Paper towel rolls are cut lenghth wise and ironed flat. I die cut them also using my Big Shot.
f) I use eyeshadow and chalk a lot like I would use glitter. I finely grounded salt. I powdered shades of blue, silver and purple eyeshadow from their containers and powdered some blue chalk. Mixed them all together to made my "tempura powder mix". It has a denim look about it and is a perfect colour match with my blue pearlized card stock.

Hope you find this tutorial useful, easy to follow and motivates you to try something today.

Cheers
Deirdre'




No comments:

Post a Comment